Earlier this week, we shared some further context on the upcoming OptaPro Analytics Forum and its position within the wider football analytics industry. Here we outline how proposals can be submitted to present at the event.
The Forum comprises presentations and interactive posters that apply data to answer some of the key questions posed by club analysts and recruitment staff. The 2017 event attracted some 250 delegates, including representatives from over 50 clubs and federations from across the globe.
Watch presentations and interviews from previous OptaPro Analytics Forums
The event, which takes place in early February, remains a unique opportunity for both football clubs and amateur analysts, offering a place to share new ideas and best practice and discuss analytical frameworks that can be implemented within a football club.
Although the event itself is invitation-only, anybody can submit a proposal to present at the OptaPro Analytics Forum.
All proposals are anonymously judged by an expert panel who have been chosen due to their experience, knowledge and expertise in football analytics. Judges will evaluate proposals against the following criteria: innovation, relevance, application and method.
- Dr Ian Graham, Head of Research, Liverpool FC
- Brian Prestidge, Head of Data Insights, City Football Group
- Devin Pleuler, Analytics Manager, Toronto FC
- George Syrianos, Head of Data Analytics, VfB Stuttgart
- Johannes Harkins, Data Scientist, OptaPro
The OptaPro Analytics Forum encourages proposals from people with a range of backgrounds. In past years, presenter backgrounds have included academia, marketing, data science, technology as well as students.
How to submit a proposal
There will be three submission categories for the 2018 event. As with previous events, we want the Forum to be data neutral; if you do not require Opta data for your analysis, please specify this in your proposal.
- Open call: Opta data
- Open call: another data source (please specify)
- Open call: Opta data plus official Premier League tracking data
For more information on tracking data and using advanced metrics, please click here.
In submitting a proposal, you will need to provide the following information. Proposals should be a maximum of two A4 sides and sent in a Word file.
2. I have/have not worked with Opta XML data before (select as appropriate)
3. I am submitting on behalf of a commercial organisation (if applicable)
4. Proposed area of study
5. Proposed method
6. Proposed applications
7. Is tracking data required?
8. Name(s) & contact details including location
All proposals should be submitted to ‘email@example.com’ using the subject: Analytics Forum 2018 proposal.
Participants can submit more than one proposal.
The deadline for submissions is midnight Monday 16th October.
If you have any further questions regarding the OptaPro Analytics Forum, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org